You are here
Notice: Changes To GNWT's Senior Home Heating Subsidy
Inuvialuit Regional Corporation would like to advise elders aged 60 and older of changes to the GNWT's Senior Home Heating Subsidy (SHHS).
This subsidy provides financial assistance to low-to-modest income residents to help meet the costs of heating their home.
Here is a list of the changes that were made:
- Increased eligibility income thresholds: this will result in an increased number of seniors being eligible to qualify for the program
- Removal of the phase out income thresholds: this will ensure eligible seniors receive 100 per cent of the subsidy
- Extension of the program to seniors who rent their own self-contained unit and have heating costs in addition to rent: this will result in an increased number of seniors being eligible to qualify for the program
- Moving from fuel allocations to a monetary-based subsidy: this will ensure seniors receive their full benefit
- A modification to how communities are allocated to specific zones to better reflect the cost of living in each community
These changes were implemented on April 1, 2018.
If you have any questions about the changes to the Senior Home Heating Subsidy, please contact: