On November 23, Inuvialuit Land Administration recognized Mary Cockney and Ricky Joe with the Environment Monitor "Roy (Sugloo) Smith" Award.
You are here
Aklavik, or Aklarvik, (meaning "grizzly bear place”) is located on the bank of the Peel River and at the foot of the Richardson Mountains. With a population of 630 people, the hamlet is the most western community in the Northwest Territories.
The community was established in 1912 as a trading post by the Hudson’s Bay Company - after a conflict between the Inuvialuit and Gwich’in caused the former to no longer travel to Fort McPherson to trade. Aklavik quickly became the crown jewel of the northern fur industry with large amounts of muskrat, beaver, white fox, and lynx coming through the community. The trapping tradition continues to this day with both young and old actively engaged in trapping, hunting and fishing.
Aklavik is also strong in other traditions such as drum dancing, with the region wide revival spurred on by members of the Aklavik Delta Drummers and Dancers.
The Progress Report on the 2017 Field Season for the Arctic Cultural Heritage At Risk (Arctic CHAR) project is now