You are here
Community Owned Network Training in Ulukhaktok
Community Members of Ulukhaktok
The Internet Society is offering free training on how to build and run a community-owned Internet service provider in Ulukhaktok. No prior experience or technical ability is required and everyone is welcome!
Sign up now to learn how to:
· Build and operate a network for the Hamlet of Ulukhaktok
· Manage finances for the network
· Access money to build and maintain a network
· Secure a network to keep subscribers safe online
· Work with the community to make sure the network is successful
The training will take place over eight weeks and will include in-community workshops and conference calls and/or online (where possible). At the end of the training, participants will build a community network in Ulukhaktok!
What is a Community Network?
· Community networks are “do it yourself” networks built and managed by a local group to meet their own communication needs, like bringing affordable Internet to their community.
· They are the result of people working together, combining their resources, organizing their efforts, and connecting themselves in order to close both connectivity and cultural gaps.
· Community networks may be built and managed by individuals, local organizations, private sector entities, and/or government bodies, and they usually operate on a cost-recovery basis.
· This training will offer you a deep understanding of the technology behind a community network and the skills necessary to run it.
The Internet Society is a non-profit organization dedicated to ensuring the open development, evolution and use of the Internet. Working through a global community of chapters and members, the Internet Society collaborates with a broad range of groups to promote the technologies that keep the Internet safe and secure, and advocates for policies that enable universal access.